This Fortnight in Advertising: June 1 - 15

June 15, 2012

One of the first things I notice when I come to any city is the ads. I look out for hoardings, print ads, ads in transit (such as those in subway stations, buses, and so on), and, of course, TV ads. I’ve been doing this since I was 8 or so, so maybe I was destined to work with marketing after all.

When it comes to Toronto… God, the range of advertising here is so hard to pin down. On the one hand, you have TV ads which are usually about competitor bashing or product differentiation. Pretty standard, though, may I say, the Pepsi ad where the Coke employee drinks Pepsi and switches bandwagons? I seriously doubt that ad would have gotten permission to show in India!

On the other hand, you have some seriously inspired text ads at bus stands (my favorites were ‘Don’t worry Jesus, lots of kids have two dads these days. Happy Father’s Day.’ and Bell’s ‘Neighbours are for borrowing sugar, not internet.’ I’m really going to have to start taking pictures going forward, because it’s impossible to track these down online!)

I’ve decided to make note, on a monthly basis, of: 1. The brand you absolutely could not ignore that month (for overall ad presence & coverage across mediums), 2. The ad(s) I loved that month, and 3. Online campaigns that caught my eye. Watch out for this month’s roundup at the end of the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment